Monday, December 03, 2007

Snow at Lake Hoare Camp

Just when it looked like the streams would be running, it got colder beginning yesterday afternoon. Gusts turned to flurries and soon no water was left unfrozen. The sun has just come out again (so I'm hoping to sample streams tomorrow-my fingers are crossed).
In the meantime the Flats found a dry patch and a mummified seal that had lost its way back to the Ross Sea and wandered inland instead. They were not sure what to make of this poor creature.
It feels even more remote here with snow because all Helicopter traffic stops (not that there is a lot, but 2 or 3 a day is a beacon connecting us with McMurdo).


I've been working on my dissertation every day (its amazing to be able to walk out the door into the vast landscape, the salty soil scouring at rocks, and to come inside and make a cup of tea and write.... ) My days are very productive here with all of this encouraging light.

No comments: