Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Persistence

I post this picture of what I would have worn to faculty prom had I been hired at the place that boasts its own faculty prom. Don't worry, although I'm not going to prom, I'm still wearing that wig.

I am surprised by the power of persistence. At 15, I wrote down a list of about 30 things that I wanted to do with my life including going to Antarctica and Mars. I have done most of these things, some after being rejected multiple times. The key is, knowing there are many ways to get where you set out to go.

Last week, co-led a hands-on glacier-flubber activity with gifted 8th grade girls. You could see their eyes light up as they explored how their glaciers responded to temperature, slope, and surfaces. They created their experiments, guided by their own growing interest in oozing goozing flubber. We challenged them to test their hypotheses and they did it fabulously!!!

Dr. Kathy Sullivan, was the keynote speaker for this event. Kathy was the first woman to walk in space (something I kick myself for not speaking with her about when on the way to Antarctica.) In one of her interviews she said don't let anyone "put you of your game and affect your path" Don't let anyone tell you what to do with your flubber.

Here's to enjoying the path!

No comments: