Monday, December 10, 2007

Welcome the Water

Lake Ice
Camp at Lake Hoare, below Canada Glacier

Howard Glacier

At last! The streams are melting! My fingers are looking forward to shunting all the blood straight to my sample collecting core as I pull on poly gloves and blissfully dip collection bottles.

Unless it snows or stays gray for a few days in a row, the streams have some thermal inertia. If you put an ice cube (O degrees C) on the stove and heat it until it melts and reaches a temperature of around 10 degrees C, you have used approximately the same amount of energy as it would take to heat 10 degree water to boiling (at 100 C).... what this means is that melting should continue unless we drop more than 5 below C, it clouds up for several days in a row, or it snows...

Anyway, I will be going up on the glacier to collect melt tomorrow, and today I am heading out to sample with the lake (limno) team. In the meantime above are some pictures of icier times.

No comments: